What is Live Algoma?
Live Algoma, a local community coalition spanning the Algoma School District footprint, invites community members to engage in their personal wellbeing and the overall health of our community. The initiative focuses on five segments of the population, Healthy Employers, Healthy Individuals, Healthy Children, Healthy Community and the Commons. Each segment is led by an activation team led by and comprised of local community members.
Since its development in 2015, Live Algoma, fulfilling its vision to become, “a community model the world will follow,” has been recognized nationally and internationally for its continuous efforts demonstrating collaboration, improvement and empowerment including:
- Hands Only CPR students received the American Heart Association Community Impact Award and to date, trained over 2,500 community members (October, 2017).
- Initiative recognized on-stage with the Dalai Lama (March, 2016).
- Expansion of the Algoma Community Wellness Center (March 2015).
- Selected as one of 20 communities to participate in SCALE, a 20-month intensive “learning and doing” program designed to assist communities to achieve unprecedented results in improving the health and well-being of people, populations and the community-at-large through IHI – the Institute for Healthcare Improvement and Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (Spring, 2015).
- 1 of 8 communities in the United States to receive the 2017 Culture of Health Prize awarded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation September, 2017).