From Teal Van Lanen
What we are doing in Algoma was too good to keep to ourselves. In 2016 a few others took notice too and invited us to share.
Here are a few recognition updates:
- Recognized in front of the Dalia Lama in Madison, WI of our empowerment strategies, connecting us to the models in Afghanistan and Africa. Find it here:
o https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp5YpB0ohac (context part 45:20-54:42, specifically recognized a little after 49:50)
- Two groups from Singapore came to learn about our community model, engagement of community members, and spread and scale of tools.
- High school students were invited and attended a conference in Florida and Oklahoma City to present what they are learning and the importance of this work in order to create a viable future. Check out videos here:
- Sixth grade students, from 2015-2016, presented in Appleton at a POINT initiative in front of 300 people and gave them advice on how it’s okay to “fail forward.” Click here for a short video:
- In the running for the Culture of Health Prize Award. If awarded we will receive $25,000 and CNN will create a story on our community’s work.
- Williamson, WV (previous Culture of Health Prize Awardee) visited our community.
- Recognized in Dying and Living in the Neighborhood: A Street-Level View of America’s Healthcare Promise by Prahnjot Singh. Order your copy here:
- Received the rights to a HarvardX course so that our community members can continue learning the PDSA process for free. If you would like to take the course, please email me and I can tell you how! email@example.com
- The Hands Only CPR Team received the Community Impact Award from the American Heart Association.
- Of the twenty SCALE communities in the United States who have received the grant, Live Algoma is leading in progress.
- Recognized by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine as “Cutting edge to the approaches and perspectives on community engagement in partnerships to improve health and wellbeing for the community and its youth.”
- Don Berwick, President Emeritus and Senior Fellow of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement, will spotlight Live Algoma in his keynote speech at the 28th Annual National IHI Forum in December.
- HarvardX teamed up with IHI to write a blog post about one of our Live Algoma initiatives. Read it here:
- Donations from Theda Care, US Venture, Greater Green Bay Community Foundation, Singapore, and local businesses to help us continue our work.
Keep yourself informed by becoming involved! AND, if you have NOT signed up for the Live Algoma newsletters, please do so by going to http://livealgoma.us13.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=8651bb87cdf59768e0a6a5b63&id=a0494c44d2